NEW YORK (February 1, 2010) -- Amidst all the new technology in the world of weddings, from Twitter proposals to Facebook engagement announcements, the season's biggest trend is a throwback to the past: '50s-inspired glamour. According to #1 wedding website and wedding trend forecaster The Knot (www.theknot.com), couples are looking to mix this vintage glamour wedding trend with their own personality.
“Homespun Chic will be giving way to Retro Glamour,” predicts Carley Roney, editor in chief of The Knot. “Many of the year's top wedding trends reflect an obsession with the sophistication of the 1950s and '60s.”
But, despite all the elegance, brides still want to give guests something to talk about! Quirky surprises, inspired by couple's unique personality, or of-the-moment pop-culture crazes -- like 3-D!
HERE'S A LOOK AT WHAT'S COMING DOWN THE AISLE IN 2010:
1. BLACK, WHITE & BALL GOWNS: From black-sashed dresses and ball gowns to tulle and high waists, the look of the season is all about Grace Kelly elegance, right down to the accessories: ladylike gloves and pearls. For the guys, traditional tuxes are back.
2. MAD MEN-INSPIRED BEAUTY: Channeling the likes of Betty Draper and Audrey Hepburn, brides will be opting for statement-making hairstyles, like bouffants, French twists, and even beehives, with chic cage veils. As for makeup, matte base, black eyeliner, and red lipstick complete the look.
3. RAT PACK COCKTAIL RECEPTIONS: Couples are skipping the sit-down dinner and going for supper club-style cocktail parties instead. Think: big-band music, heavy appetizers, and old-fashioned cocktails, like Manhattans, sidecars, and dirty martinis.
4. ART DECO COLORS: Black -- paired with emerald green or ruby red -- will give weddings a dramatic, sophisticated feel.
5. STATEMENT CAKES: Cupcakes will always be cute, but the big news right now is stately cakes, from towering layers to splashes of metallic details.
6. INTERACTIVE ELEMENTS: Blame it on Avatar, but the 3-D craze is also hitting the wedding scene with 3-D save-the-dates, menus and more. And, the interactive phenomenon doesn't stop there. Guests can look forward to crossword puzzle-style save-the-dates, video announcements, and special performances.
7. GLEE-INSPIRED FIRST DANCES: Inspired by the hit show, Glee, couples are taking their first dance to a whole new level by opting for a “mash-up” (or medley) of songs instead of a single one.
8. OVER-THE-TOP WEDDING EXITS: Forget the sparklers, confetti canons and hot air balloon sendoffs will be all the rage.
9. STYLE SURPRISES: A pair of high-top sneakers peeking out from under his tux! A glimpse of a pink petticoat under the hemline of her dress! Pairing bright-green socks for the groom and bright-green shoes for the bride! Couples are really showing their individuality, underneath it all.
10. THE ANTI BRIDE: The '80s are back in a big way, and weddings are not immune. Fingerless gloves, neon graffiti, and '80s prom music will be huge at fashion-forward receptions and after-parties.
AND HERE'S WHAT'S HOT IN:
RINGS: Taking a cue from the fashion runways, gold is the new metal for engagement rings and wedding bands. And for a vintage feel, brides are pairing it with a rose-, emerald-, or Asscher-cut diamond.
REGISTRY: While wedding style goes retro, registry goes high-tech. Couples are now using new and innovative ways to create their registry with techie tools like Gift Registry 360 on Facebook.
HONEYMOONS: All-inclusive luxury resorts are popping up all over the globe, from Hawaii to Antigua -- and honeymooners are flocking to them for the awesome food.
For more hot trends, check out TheKnot.com and pick up your spring 2010 copy of The Knot weddings magazine on newsstands now. To speak with an editor and receive camera-ready images to illustrate your wedding trend stories, contact PR Director Melissa Bauer at (212) 219-8555 x1020 or email her at email@example.com.
About The Knot
The Knot is the nation's leading wedding resource, reaching over a million engaged couples each year through the #1 wedding website, TheKnot.com, The Knot national and local wedding magazines, The Knot books (published by Random House and Chronicle), and television programming bearing The Knot name. The Knot is the flagship brand of The Knot Inc. (NASDAQ: KNOT), a leading lifestage media company targeting couples planning their weddings and future lives together.